Let’s learn some of the most interesting facts about Lithiania that will surely amaze you. Hopefully, once you hear them – you won‘t be able to resist visiting this beautiful country!
1. The name Lithuania was mentioned for the first time in the Annals of Quedlinburg in 1009. By the end of the 14th century, Lithuania was the largest country in Europe. The Kingdom of Lithuania was formed by numerous tribes living in the area at that moment.
2. According to a study made by a French scientist in 1989, Lithuania is positioned in a geographical center of Europe.
3. The Greek, Latin, German, Celtic, and the Slavic are one of the oldest languages in the World, but they are not even nearly as old as the Lithuanian tongue, which is the most ancient one from them all.
4. Lithuania is home to one of the largest moving sand dunes in Europe.
5. Basketball is the most popular sport in Lithuania, and it is said to be the second religion of country’s people.
6. Lithuania has one of the fastest Internet connections in the World.
7. One of the most famous Lithuanian dishes is “Cepelinai”. This meal got its name from its oval shape that resembles a… Zeppelin airship. The best drink to go with Cepelinai is beer, according to most Lithuanian locals. The Lithuanian beer has a fresh and crispy taste and it’s highly praised all over the World.
8. The Easter eggs are not brought here by some cute and fluffy bunnies, it is the Easter Granny (“Velykų Bobute”) who does that job in Lithuania.
9. Lithuania is famous for being the only country in the World… with its own official scent, called “The Scent of Lithuania”.
10. Lithuania is known as the land of storks, which is also the country's national bird.